Time flies. If you need any proof, just think about the fact that the year’s pretty much winding down to a close – ALREADY! Soon enough everyone’s going to start prepping and decorating for the holiday season. However, as all the good cheer starts taking over the atmosphere, don’t forget that accidents can happen regardless of what you’re celebrating, or when. According to research conducted by the National Safety Council (NSC), approximately 15,000 people are injured every year because of holiday-related activities. The holiday season is one of the busiest times for ERs across the country as people flock to treat unexpected burns, sprains, falls, cuts, and various other mishaps caused by the innocent decision to have a good time.
If you don’t want to be a part of these statistics, here are a few tips to ensure that you celebrate trouble-free this year:
- Be Cool – Good parties need planning. Whether we’re talking elaborate weddings or simple dinners, fun times simply can’t happen without determined coordinators who are willing to organize every last detail necessary to let the good times roll. In the bustle of shopping and decorating that comes with the holidays, remember not to exert yourself to the point of fatigue. The whole point of having holidays, after all, is enjoyment. When it comes to preventing accidents, not only should you protect your property and your guests, you should also protect your health too.
- Make Contingency Plans – One big misconception people have about the holidays is assuming that they’re all fun and games. It’s quite the opposite actually. Increased social activity during the holidays multiplies the odds of suffering mishaps and injuries. This is precisely why emergency preparation is invaluable during this season. The simplest precautions can end up guaranteeing that you party without a hitch. For example, stock up on first-aid supplies and refresh your knowledge of first-aid. Stock up on fire extinguishers and test smoke detectors. Practice emergency drills and keep your guard up for safety hazards.
- Don’t Play with Fire – The holidays provide us all with countless reasons to use fire. It could be for decorative candles, it could be for lanterns or even for fireplaces during the winter. Whatever the reason, if you happen to use fire during the holidays remember to be vigilant about monitoring it. Unattended flames are the biggest cause of home fires – especially when Christmas trees and dangling decorations have been set up. Always extinguish fires if you know you will be away from them for extended durations of time.
- Use Secure Wiring – People naturally end up using electrical appliances more heavily during the holidays. For instance: decorative lights and electrical displays always compete for wall-outlet space; cold weather makes it necessary to use space heaters and other such temperature-regulation equipment; hosting guests also means that some of us will end up plugging in cooking appliances or electronic devices that otherwise stay dangerously dormant for months at a time. The more appliances you use, the more urgent it is to ensure that your wiring and circuits are secure.
- Eat Well-Cooked Food – Parties automatically mean cooking on a large scale, and unless you have experience cooking large portions, it’s easy for food poisoning to happen due to poorly cooked food. If you end up responsible for hosting groups of people during the holidays, make sure to feed them hygienically. Don’t undercook meat – especially Turkey. Make sure that none of your ingredients are expired before cooking. Also, Practice preparing new or exotic meals before serving them to guests. It usually takes more than one attempt for people to figure out how to cook a new meal to perfection.
There’s an age-old saying that says prevention is better than cure. This stands true not just for the big events in life, but also for harmless things like relaxation. As you prepare to celebrate the many different holidays which happen at the close of the year, don’t forget to put safety first at all times. If you make an effort to protect yourself and anyone you host, you’ll never have a reason to suffer avoidable problems. For more information, visit any of our offices or give us a call at 1-800-639-7654 to find out how Adriana’s Insurance Services can help you secure your festivities. We got you covered!